Narrative Archive offers thousands of stories, poems, and essays free of charge—we invite you to gather inspiration by getting lost in our stacks. Need a place to start? We’ve handpicked a few of our favorite pieces that center on a pivotal choice, and included a brief prompt below each title.
,” an essay by Hugo Anaya de Jesus
• What emotions does the author provoke in the reader in this short work? How does the author achieve this?
,” an essay by Anton Disclafani
• How does the author use imagery to effectively illustrate the emotional consequences of her pivotal choice?
,” a story by Farnaz Fassihi
• What choices have you made for the well-being of others? Did you sacrifice your own well-being?
,” a story by Avianca Jackson
• Listen to the song mentioned in the story. How does it contribute to the story’s meaning?
“Nicky Nicky Nine Doors
,” a story by Alex Jaros
• How does the story’s setting inform (or even inspire) the narrator’s choice?
,” a story by Jenny Xie
• What details connect the choices made by the story’s mother and daughter?
General Reading List
Narrative Archive doesn’t stop there! Great reading—no matter the subject matter—inspires great writing. So dive into the below essays, stories, and poems too. You never know when you’ll read something that sticks.
” by Sherwood Anderson